Tuesday, February 10, 2009

iPhone & Bad Math from ATT?

So I e-mailed ATT & APPLE about the $200 surcharge that I would be required to pay to upgrade my cell phone NOW to an iPhone. The below is the e-mail I got in response from ATT. Am I crazy or is there not a $200 surcharge to "early upgrade" - an 8G iphone costs only $199. How does "you can early upgrade to an iPhone for $399" - $199 not equal $200??????
---------------
Dear Ms. X,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail AT&T in regards to not being
able to purchase the iPhone online without paying a $200 surcharge. I
apologize that you have not been able to purchase an iPhone online. My
name is XXX XXX, and I am happy to help you with your inquiry.

I have reviewed your inquiry and was not able to find that a $200
surcharge is accessed when purchasing the iPhone. The iPhone itself is
$199 for the 8GB and $299 for the 16GB and is available for qualified
upgrades only. Our records indicate that wireless number X
will be eligible for a discounted upgrade as early as 10/26/2009.

You will be able to upgrade early to the iPhone 3G at the price of
$399.00 for the 8 gigabyte model and $499.00 for the 16 gigabyte model.
A new 2 year commitment and an $18.00 upgrade fee are required for
iPhone 3G upgrades. You will be able to upgrade your phone at any
company owned AT&T location, Walmart or Best Buy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AT&T is possibly the worst company in the world - surpassed only by Apple's shysty business practices as demonstrated with the iPhone. Maybe go for the G1 - the google phone - it's just as cool and less expensive, and Tmobile has been really reliable for Beau...